Revision This is an old revision of MageiaWelcomeToRpmBuilding made by BenoitAudouard on 2011-01-12 21:59:27.
a few hints are:
1) check licensing carefully (on web AND on a source file);
2) no changelog in spec file, to migrate older changelog, there is a separate procedure; ...
3) check buildrequires by using the BuildSystem
4) remember, there are filetriggers; so no useless %post stuff
5) think about sources in URLs and try to think about other people who might upgrade your spec file (ie: use urls for sources)
5b) try not to repackage upstream stuff (sometimes upstream stuff is not in a tarball)
6) try to split if it's usefull by dependencies or size (or possibly architecture differences)
7) do check what type of macros exist, eg: there is %apply_patches
8) if you do lots of patches it might be helpful to you to use git-svn
and last but not least 9) check the licenses!
To check: OpenSuse Build System does dependancy checking for you, also can use mock
Some useful links for Mageia RPM buildinghttp://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ can help you to follow progress
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=packaging#starting_package_import about importing packages you will find quick doc
http://cia.vc/stats/project/Mageia follow svn commits